Monday, January 28, 2013

Gluten Free!!!

Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
 
 
Cupcake Ranking: 4+ Cupcakes
 

I have to admit.  I was skeptical.  WAY skeptical.  I don't eat organic food, I don't do fad diets and I HATE trend eating.  ANYWAY, I have a lot of friends who have Celiac disease and have been really curious about baking without gluten products.  It seemed IMPOSSIBLE.  Turns out it isn't.  In fact, this cake is SO good it is now my go-to chocolate cake.  It is chocolatey, fluffy, moist and crazy delicious.  I did make some changes to the original recipe, and I used chocolate buttercream instead of the nasty 7 minute frosting, but I think if it did anything it made it better.

Ingredients

2 Cups Sugar
1 C Brown Sugar
1 1/2 Cup Brown-rice flour
1 1/2 Cup Almond flour
1 1/2 Cup unsweetened Dutch-process Cocoa powder
1/2 Cup Rice flour
4 tsp Baking soda
2 tsp Baking powder
1 1/2 tsp coarse Salt
4 large Eggs
1 1/2 Cup warm Water
1 1/2 Cup low-fat (1 percent) Buttermilk
2 oz (4 Tbs) unsalted Butter
2 tsp pure Vanilla extract
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat two 9-inch cake pans with cooking spray and flour and line 5 cupcake spots with cupcake liners.
 
Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients, and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. Divide batter between pans. (The batter is CRAZY runny.  So don't worry.)
 
Bake cakes until they pull away from sides of pans, about 45 minutes. Let cool in pans on wire racks.
 
Split each cake layer horizontally.  Assemble the cake: Place a cake layer on a plate. Spread frosting on top. Place cake layer on top and continue until remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides with remaining frosting.
 
I shaved some white chocolate on top for aesthetic effect.
 
Rach's Review:
 
This cake is really yummy and tasted like any cake you would make with gluten products.  I had a few of my friends who are gluten intollerant taste the cake.  One of them took a bite, closed his eyes and sighed.  If that isn't a testament, I don't know what is!  I did double the recipe and make some alterations, but the end product was trully TO DIE FOR.  The entire cake was gone in 2 days.  Happy Baking!


1 comments:

Inspector Clouseau said...

I am reading with more and more frequency, the benefits of gluten free foods. Nice blog work. I came across your blog while “blog surfing” using the Next Blog button on the Nav Bar located at the top of my blogger.com site. I frequently just travel around looking for other blogs which exist on the Internet, and the various, creative ways in which people express themselves. Thanks for sharing, and best wishes for the New Year.